A single focus: Gold in Africa
Currently, all of ABG’s mining operations are in Tanzania, which benefits from:
- significant mining potential
- an established legal and regulatory framework for mining companies
- political stability with a history of democratically elected governments.
Our producing mines
We have three mines at present: Bulyanhulu, Buzwagi and North Mara. All located in northwest Tanzania.
- Production of 198,286 ounces in 2013
- High grade underground mine with a reserve life of 25+ years
- Proven and probable reserves of 9.4 Moz as at the end of 2013
- Production of 181,984 ounces in 2013
- Open pit mine; mine life estimated to be 5 years
- Proven and probable reserves of 1.1 Moz as at the end of 2013
- Production of 256,732 ounces in 2013
- Open pit mine consisting of three open pits with a mine life of ten years
- Proven and probable reserves of 2.2 Moz as at the end of 2013
Our exploration projects
Our strategy is to maintain a mix of projects at different stages in the exploration and development life cycle.
We hold approximately 4,500 square kilometres of licences, across highly prospective greenstones and around the major gold-mining projects in the Lake Victoria greenstone belt of Tanzania and the prospective Ndori Greenstone Belt in Kenya.
Our focus in Tanzania is to explore in and around our 1,800 square kilometres of licences for both brownfield expansions, as well as, on several greenfield projects.
In Western Kenya we hold five contiguous licenses over a land package in excess of 2,800 square kilometres of the prospective Ndori Greenstone Belt in Kenya. Exploration programmes have delineated multiple large-scale gold anomalies and these targets represent an important addition to the grassroots and target delineation segments of our exploration pipeline.
From our base in Tanzania, we are also well placed to continue widening our interests into other parts of Africa.
For our projects in more detail, see exploration projects.