A single focus: Gold in Africa
Currently, all of ABG’s mining operations are in Tanzania, which benefits from:
- significant mining potential
- an established legal and regulatory framework for mining companies
- political stability with a history of democratically elected governments.
Our producing mines
We have four mines at present: Bulyanhulu, Buzwagi, North Mara and Tulawaka. All are in the northwest of Tanzania.
- Production of 236,183 ounces in 2012
- High grade underground mine with a reserve life of 25+ years
- Proven and probable reserves of 10.6 Moz
- Resolve paste fill plant issues
- Increase availability of higher grade stopes
- Stabilise and rebuild national workforce
- Progress CIL Expansion and Upper East Expansion projects
- Production of 165,770 ounces in 2012
- Open pit mine with a 10+ year mine life
- Proven and probable reserves of 2.7 Moz
- Continue to operate at nameplate capacity in the process plant
- Sustain increased level of mining rates
- Optimise the power mix for the mine
- Minimise additional capital investment
- Production of 193,231 ounces in 2012
- Open pit mine consisting of three open pits with a mine life in excess of ten years
- Proven and probable reserves of 3.0 Moz
- Maintain increased mining rates
- Continue to deliver improved recoveries
- Progress land acquisitions and relocations
- Finalise lifting of Environmental Protection Order
- Continue to improve social licence to operate
- Production of 31,028 ounces in 2012
- Proven and probable reserves of 16,000 ounces
- Expected closure in 2013
- Harvest high grade pillars and close/divest operation
- Implement closure plan in conjunction with the Tanzanian government
- Redeploy employees within our other operations
Our exploration projects
Our strategy is to maintain a mix of projects at different stages in the exploration and development life cycle.
We hold one of the largest land packages in Tanzania, over highly prospective greenstones and around the major gold-mining projects in the Lake Victoria greenstone belt. Our focus is to explore in and around our existing operations, as well as on early-stage exploration programmes.
In 2012 we acquired significant land holdings in Western Kenya, the properties, which have only seen limited previous exploration, contain multiple large-scale gold anomalies and cover five contiguous licenses over a land package in excess of 2,800 square kilometres of the prospective Ndori Greenstone Belt in Kenya. These targets represent an important addition to the grassroots and target delineation segments of our exploration pipeline.
From our base in Tanzania, we are also well placed to continue widening our interests into other parts of Africa.
For our projects in more detail, see exploration projects.
Headquarters: London, UK
Our corporate headquarters in London is the base for ABG’s Executive Directors and other members of the Senior Leadership Team. This includes the General Counsel and the Head of Corporate Development and Investor Relations.
Operations Office: Johannesburg, South Africa
Our Johannesburg office is the regional base for capital projects, planning, technical services and administrative, finance, human resources and procurement functions for our operations.
Country Office: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Our office in Dar es Salaam serves as the primary interface with the government, in addition to being the logistical base in Tanzania, which provides in-country support to our operations. Other functions located in this office include community relations, legal and communications.