A single focus: Gold in Africa
Currently, all of ABG’s mining operations are in Tanzania, which benefits from:
- significant mining potential
- an established legal and regulatory framework for mining companies
- political stability with a history of democratically elected governments.
Our producing mines
We have three mines at present: Bulyanhulu, Buzwagi and North Mara, with the Tulawaka mine now in the process of being transferred to Stamico. All are in the northwest of Tanzania.
- Production of 236,183 ounces in 2012
- High grade underground mine with a reserve life of 25+ years
- Proven and probable reserves of 10.6 Moz as at the end of 2012
- Production of 165,770 ounces in 2012
- Open pit mine; mine life revised to 6.5 years in July 2013
- Proven and probable reserves of 2.7 Moz as at the end of 2012
- Production of 193,231 ounces in 2012
- Open pit mine consisting of three open pits with a mine life of ten years
- Proven and probable reserves of 3.0 Moz as at the end of 2012
- Completed operations in H1 2013 and is now in the process of being transferred to Stamico, the Tanzanian state mining company.
Our exploration projects
Our strategy is to maintain a mix of projects at different stages in the exploration and development life cycle.
We hold one of the largest land packages in Tanzania, over highly prospective greenstones and around the major gold-mining projects in the Lake Victoria greenstone belt. Our focus is to explore in and around our existing operations, as well as on early-stage exploration programmes.
In 2012 we acquired significant land holdings in Western Kenya, the properties, which have only seen limited previous exploration, contain multiple large-scale gold anomalies and cover five contiguous licenses over a land package in excess of 2,800 square kilometres of the prospective Ndori Greenstone Belt in Kenya. These targets represent an important addition to the grassroots and target delineation segments of our exploration pipeline.
From our base in Tanzania, we are also well placed to continue widening our interests into other parts of Africa.
For our projects in more detail, see exploration projects.
Headquarters: London, UK
Our corporate headquarters in London is the base for ABG’s Chief Executive Officer and other members of the Senior Leadership Team. This includes the Chief Financial Officer, General Counsel and the VP, Organisational Effectiveness.
Operations Office: Johannesburg, South Africa
Our Johannesburg office is the regional base for capital projects, planning, technical services and administrative, finance, human resources and procurement functions for our operations.
Country Office: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Our office in Dar es Salaam serves as the primary interface with the government, in addition to being the logistical base in Tanzania, which provides in-country support to our operations. Other functions located in this office include community relations, legal and communications.